Grimsby: Electric blanket went up in flames on woman’s knee

An electric blanket went up in flames on a woman's lap after she was gifted it to help keep her energy bills low.

Lesley Redgrift, 65, sprung into action and stamped the fire out (Picture: MEN Media)

An electric blanket went up in flames on a woman’s lap after she was gifted it to help keep her energy bills low.

Lesley Redgrift, 65, was watching TV at her home in Grimsby when she noticed smoke rising from the item.

She realized that it was on fire after lifting it up and instantly sprung into action.

After racing outside, she chucked it on the ground and stamped on it – and escaped with only a hole in the pocket of her dressing gown.

But the incident, around 8.30pm on January 18, left her ‘shaken up’ and was reluctant to use another electric blanket amidst the cost of living crisis.

The product is said to have been bought as a birthday present by her daughter Tina from the Online Home Shop on eBay – which ‘immediately sent over a refund’.

It has been removed from the Online Home Shop, and Lesley says she was told to choose a dressing gown from their website at no cost.

But Tina ‘dreads to think if that was an elderly lady or someone in a wheelchair – they’d have no chance’.

A Grimsby woman who was given an electric blanket for her birthday in a bid to save money amid skyrocketing gas prices was left scared and shaken up after it went up in flames as she watched television, burning her dressing gown.  At 8.30pm on Wednesday, January 18, Lesley Redgrift, 65, was watching TV when she noticed smoke rising from the blanket, which she had on her knee.  When she lifted it up, she was horrified to see that it was on fire.  Lesley's daughter, Tina, had bought her the electric blanket from the Online Home Shop on eBay for her birthday to help her keep warm without having to switch on her central heating.

Lesley was left scared and shook up after it went up in flames as she watched television (Picture: Grimsby Telegraph/MEN Media)

A Grimsby woman who was given an electric blanket for her birthday in a bid to save money amid skyrocketing gas prices was left scared and shaken up after it went up in flames as she watched television, burning her dressing gown.  At 8.30pm on Wednesday, January 18, Lesley Redgrift, 65, was watching TV when she noticed smoke rising from the blanket, which she had on her knee.  When she lifted it up, she was horrified to see that it was on fire.  Lesley's daughter, Tina, had bought her the electric blanket from the Online Home Shop on eBay for her birthday to help her keep warm without having to switch on her central heating.

A hole was left in her dressing gown (Picture: Grimsby Telegraph/MEN Media)

She added that she feels ‘guilty’ as she ‘nearly set her mum on fire for her birthday’ – but Lesley has apparently joked ‘it’ll take more than that to kill me off’.

Describing the scary encounter, Tina said: ‘She had a thick dressing gown on and it burned the pocket of her dressing gown. It didn’t even shut off.

‘She quickly unplugged it and ran outside the back patio out the back and chucked it on the ground and just stamped on it.’

She continued: ‘She was absolutely shaken up, she wouldn’t buy one more. She’s now very wary of her other electric blanket which she has on her bed, but she’s had that a few years.

‘My dad has one of those blankets but it’s a different one, a really expensive one, but he now switches it off when he goes outside for a cigarette because you just don’t know.

‘It was only a couple of nights before that I had slept over at my parents’ house and I had the new electric blanket on me while I was asleep. It’s scary.’

Trading Standards and the Online Home Shop on eBay have both been contacted for comment.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top